in atmospheric chemistry
An apparatus used to absorb certain water soluble components in a gas stream for later analysis. Usually it involves the use of a glass fritted tube which forces the air into small bubbles of high surface area during operation.
PAC, 1990, 62, 2167 (Glossary of atmospheric chemistry terms (Recommendations 1990)) on page 2177