A single, closely packed @L03488@ of atoms or molecules. The term floating monolayer is used for certain spread monolayers or @F02366@ which are in the condensed — often solid — state. The term @L03452@ has recently been coined for spread monolayers. This usage is not recommended.
PAC, 1994, 66, 1667. (Thin films including layers: terminology in relation to their preparation and characterization (IUPAC Recommendations 1994)) on page 1672 [Terms] [Paper]
See also:
Orange Book, 2nd ed., p. 251 [Terms] [Book]