in catalysis
A packed bed @F02443@ is commonly called a fixed bed reactor and the term plug-flow is also used to indicate that no attempt is made to back-mix the reaction mixture as it passes through the @C00876@ bed.
PAC, 1976, 46, 71. (Manual of Symbols and Terminology for Physicochemical Quantities and Units - Appendix II. Definitions, Terminology and Symbols in Colloid and Surface Chemistry. Part II: Heterogeneous Catalysis) on page 80 [Terms] [Paper]